Interested in Going Solar?
Want to save on the cost of solar and have the support of experts in installing the right solar energy system for you?
The City of Durham and Durham County are community partners of Solarize the Triangle, a community-based group-purchasing program for solar energy, battery storage, and other clean-energy technologies that helps Triangle homeowners, businesses, and nonprofits become more resilient, reduce energy expenses, and save on the cost of renewable-energy systems by obtaining volume discounts on materials and installation services — the more property owners who purchase renewable energy systems, the lower the price to all buyers – through the power of purchasing together.
Solarize the Triangle is led by TJCOG through the Triangle Sustainability Partnership and Solar Crowdsource, a group of local governments, nonprofits, and advocates working to make solar power more affordable and accessible in the Triangle.
Goals of the Solarize Durham campaign are to:
- Make solar energy more accessible: vetted materials, pricing, and installation services through competitive bid process;
- Make solar energy more affordable: lower the cost of solar energy through the power of group-purchasing and reduced acquisition costs;
- Reduce energy burden for low- to moderate-income (LMI) families: further buy down upfront cost for low- and moderate-income families;
- Increase clean-energy education and community engagement: widespread community engagement, education and outreach activities through town hall meetings, workshops, solar tours, and outreach through local community groups and events;
- Promote solar friendly policies: encourage local governments to adopt streamlined solar energy permitting policies and fair distributed generation policies;
- Give back to the community: donate a solar energy system to a local nonprofit organization(s); and
- Make a lasting impact: accelerate the deployment of solar energy installations in a way that can be sustained beyond the timeframe of the Solarize the Triangle campaign.
Participating in the Solarize the Triangle program helps the City of Durham and Durham County address the climate crisis by reducing greenhouse gas emissions in government operations and the community with a focus on climate justice. Both the City and the County have adopted goals to transition municipal operations to 80% renewable energy by 2030 and 100% by 2050.
To that end, the City of Durham adopted its Carbon Neutrality and Renewable Energy Action plan in October 2021, and Durham County adopted its Renewable Energy Plan in February 2022. The City Council and Board of County Commissioners adopted a goal for all of Durham to be carbon-neutral by 2050 as part of the new Durham Comprehensive Plan under development.
To find out more, please visit:
Enrollment Period is Now Closed
Contact Solarize the Triangle:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: 770-288-0440
NOTE: Your information is safe. By signing up, there is absolutely no-obligation of any kind and your information will not be shared with anyone outside of this campaign. You are signing up for a free solar evaluation by the selected contractor and locking in discount pricing should you decide to make the transition to solar. We will only use your email address to contact you directly and keep you updated on campaign news and upcoming events.